Base is the database program in OpenOffice.org 2.x.
Books and tutorials on OOo Base
A good starting point is Chapter 10, Getting Started with Base, in the Getting Started with OOo 3.x book. This book, and individual chapters, are available in free PDF from the OOo Documentation Project. You can also buy a printed copy of the book.
See also the many books on OOo listed on this page.
Things I wish I had written
The following information was written for OOo 1.x or 2.x. It may not be relevant to OOo 3.x.
I highly recommend Solveig Haugland’s blog, which is full of great explanations, hints, and tips on using OpenOffice.org. Here are some examples of her work on Base:
- Farrrrrr Simpler Exporting Data From OpenOffice Base to a Spreadsheet (06 Apr 07). “Stop the presses. In OpenOffice.org 2.2 you can now export data in a very reasonable manner.”
- Exporting data from an OpenOffice.org Base database (30 Oct 06)
- Bringing data into OpenOffice 2.0’s database (06 Oct 06)
- Creating database forms (08 Dec 05)
- How to use OpenOffice 2.0’s database tool (30 Nov 05)
- OpenOffice 2.0 Base: Getting the right views (06 Dec 05)
Page last updated 8 December 2010.