Impress is the presentations (slide show) component of OpenOffice.org.
Book on OOo Impress
The OOoAuthors team has published a user guide for Impress. Free PDFs of the book, and of individual chapters, are available from the OOo Documentation Project, or you can buy a printed copy: OpenOffice.org 3.x Impress Guide, second edition, November 2010, ISBN 978-1921320101.
See also the many books on OOo listed on this page.
Of historical interest
The following information was written for OOo 1.x or 2.x. It may not be relevant to OOo 3.x.
Things I wish I had written
I highly recommend Solveig Haugland’s blog. Here are some examples of her work on Impress:
- Impress Issue: Applying Formatting to the Wrong Master Page (09 Mar 07)
- Impress Master Pages: The Disappearing Act (07 Mar 07)
- Something Annoying in Powerpoint Presentations That Affects Using Them in OOo Impress (02 Feb 07)
- When You Present Your OOo Impress Presentation, Think PDF (03 Jul 06)
- Bringing the Master Page of Another Presentation Into Your Current Presentation (09 May 06)
- OOo Impress Presentation Templates: They’re Just a Bit Tricky (08 May 06)
- OOo Templates: Making Them, and Making New Documents Based on Them (Writer, Calc and Impress) (22 Mar 06)
- Printing Handouts in OOo Impress (30 Nov 05)
- Making an OpenOffice.org 2.0 presentation (04 Oct 05)
Articles by Bruce Byfield and others:
- Microsoft PowerPoint versus OpenOffice.org Impress, Bruce Byfield (07 Dec 04)
- Spice up your presentations with OpenOffice.org Impress, Rob Reilly (13 Jul 05)
This article by Solveig Haugland describes two resources for people needing to send Impress files out for edit and commentary by others:
- Slideshare, a free web-based service (http://slideshare.net/)
- O3Spaces, a commercial extension for Impress (http://o3spaces.org/)
Page last updated 8 December 2010.