Writer is the word processor component of OpenOffice.org.
Books on OOo Writer
The OOoAuthors team has produced a user guide for Writer 3.
OpenOffice.org 3 Writer Guide, second edition, April 2010. ISBN 978-1921320064. You can get the full book, or individual chapters, designed for onscreen reading, from the OOo Documentation Project. You can also buy a printed copy.
See also the many books on OOo listed on this page.
Of historical interest
The following information was written for OOo 1.x or 2.x. It may not be relevant to OOo 3.x.
Evaluating OOo Writer
I have mainly used Writer, the word processing component (equivalent to Microsoft Word), but OpenOffice includes the other standard office suite components as well: spreadsheets, presentations, drawing, and web publishing. In version 2.0, it also includes a database component.
My impression, after using OOo for over two years, is that if you have to share OOoWriter files with Microsoft Word users, you may run into conversion problems, depending on which Word or Writer features you’ve used. However, if conversion to and from Word isn’t an issue, this is a great tool, with some features that Word doesn’t have (but many Word users want) and some different ways of doing things that at first look seem like better ways. Some details are here:
Here are some other evaluations, by Bruce Byfield:
- Opening Up to OpenOffice.org: Finding an Alternative to Microsoft Word (approx. 2002-3)
- Replacing FrameMaker with OOo Writer (05 Oct 04)
- OpenOffice.org Writer vs. Microsoft Word (22 Jun 05)
Here is some how-to information about using OOoWriter:
- Creating cross-references between documents — yes, it can be done!
- How to start page numbering with a number greater than 1
- How to change all font sizes in a document at once
- Creating and using master documents in OOoWriter 1.1
- Comparison of ways to do things using Microsoft Word and OOoWriter
Tips for using OOo Writer
I recommend Solveig Haugland’s blog, which is full of great explanations, hints, and tips on using OpenOffice.org. Here are some examples of her work on Writer:
- Using styles in OpenOffice.org (15 Nov 06)
- Styles Tip: Importing a Template With Completely Different Style Names, in OpenOffice Writer (13 Nov 06)
- Restarting Numbering in OpenOffice Writer (09 Nov 06)
- OpenOffice Writer lists: Dependable, powerful and won’t self-replicate when you’re not looking (17 Jul 06)
I also highly recommend Bruce Byfield’s blog and other articles written for LinuxJournal. Here are some of them:
- Configuring OpenOffice.org Writer (16 Feb 07)
- Now revealed! Secrets of line spacing in OpenOffice.org Writer (31 Jan 07)
- Hide and Go Seek with Writer Content (20 May 06)
- Combining Documents with OOo (13 Apr 06)
- Document Control in OOo Writer (07 Mar 06)
Page last updated 8 December 2010.