To modify the appearance of an index:
- Click anywhere in the index and then right-click.
- From the pop-up menu, choose Edit Index/Table. The Insert Index/Table dialog opens and you can edit and save the index using the five tabs described in the previous section.
To update or delete an index, follow the process described in Maintaining a table of contents.
Viewing and editing existing index entries
Once you have added the initial entries, you can make some amendments or add some new ones. To view and edit existing entries, follow these steps:
- Ensure that field shading is active (Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org> Appearance > Text Document > Field shadings), so you can locate index entries more easily.
- Place the cursor immediately to the left of an existing index entry in the body of your document and select Edit > Index Entry. Alternatively, right-click on the word or phrase and from the pop-up menu select Index Entry.
- A dialog similar to the one below appears. You can move through the various index entries using the forward and back arrow buttons. If there is more than one entry for a single word or phrase, then you can scroll through each of the entries. Be sure to click OK after changing an entry.
- Make the necessary modifications to the index entries and, when finished, click Close.
Updating an index
Writer does not update the index automatically, so after making changes to the index entries, you must update it manually.
To update an index, place the cursor anywhere in the index, right-click, and choose Update Index/Table from the pop-up menu.
This book is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, version 3.0.